UK car production down a fifth in first half but shortages beginning to ease.
- UK car manufacturing falls -19.2% to 403,131 units in turbulent first half year, but 5.6% June uplift, the second consecutive month of growth, cause for optimism.
- Battery electric vehicle production increases by 6.5% during first six months to record levels as £3.4bn investment committed to UK’s zero emissions future in H1.
- Latest independent outlook targets 1.2% uplift in overall output this year, with firmer recovery to follow as supply chain issues recede.
UK CV production grows 64.4% in June to round off best first half in a decade.
- UK commercial vehicle production grows 64.4% in June, with 9,549 units leaving British factory lines.
- Year-to-date output increases 47.4%, resulting in best first six months to a year since 2012.
- CV manufacturers show resilience but urgent action is needed to protect UK competitiveness.
UK engine production down -12.7% in first half of 2022
- Engine production declines -12.7% in first six months of 2022, totalling 812,397 units.
- Year to date output for export falls -9.7%, while production for the UK is down -16.4%.
- Measures to reduce business costs, including energy, must be a priority to protect UK competitiveness and jobs.
Electric car brand Polestar expects to at least double its UK sales volume by the end of 2022 as the brand continues to win over EV buyers.
It is set to expand its small network of Polestar Space showrooms to four this autumn, opening at Battersea in London, and UK chief executive Jonathan Goodman told AM its physical footprint would double further to eight locations by the end of 2023.
Expansion will include its first location in Scotland.